TEDx Talk: Navigating deafness in a hearing world

“Deafness is, at its core, a communication barrier”. –Rachel Kolb

Did you know that:

  • The median reading achievement of 17 to 21 year old deaf students leaving American secondary schools is at the 4th grade level?
  • Deaf students born to hearing parents are less likely to develop fluent written English than deaf students born to deaf parents?
  • Nine out of ten children who are born deaf are born to hearing parents. Only 10% of these families learn how to effectively communicate with their deaf child. The other 90% do not.

In spite of these statistics, Rachel Kolb, who was born deaf, offers an inspiring perspective to being deaf in a hearing world; one that both deaf and hearing people should take into account.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: